Thursday, February 5, 2009

Crayoning and my Middle Ages "S.S." book.

This week we used a lot of crayoning techniques for drawing. We used block crayons, which are just sticks of colored beeswax. First we had to condition the crayons, which means that we have to wear down the edges to get them rounded. We learned how to use all of the sides of the crayons, and how to draw certain things with them. First we drew some trees, then we did a landscape with one tree. We did a stereotypical tree with fluffy-looking leaves, and a pine tree.

Here are pictures of us doing the crayoning:

The top one is Wilson drawing his landscape. The one on the bottom is one of Joey, Wilson, and our Mom doing their landscapes.

Over the past couple of months, I have been creating a Social Studies book for the Middle Ages. I started with "The Fall of Rome" and the most recent one was "Australia and New Zealand". I draw a map or picture of something that had to do with whatever area I was studying, then I write some facts and events of what happened during that time. Then, I drew designs and colored in the empty spaces.












3 comments:

Tan Family said...

Your Middle Ages book drawings are beautiful and they really show us great examples of medieval architecture and geography.

Grandma said...

I love the drawings Ricky, crayons are wonderful to work with. You are learning a lot about the middle ages, such an interesting period. It is so nice for me to be able to read your blog and see what you have done each week!
Love, Grandma

Joey Tan said...

Wow! Your S.S book looks awsome.